Saturday, March 22, 2008

... RELIGION :D!!!

humm
blogging..... now that Ive actually started a blog, every time i sit down to write something on it, i cant remember what i was going to write. blagh c'est la vie
anyway i think i can remember what i was going to talk about
Religion (i know strange and maybe controversial for my second post, but hey get over it :) )
Religion, in my books is a waste of time (shush just here me out)
everyone no matter how small or big, no matter where they are from or how they are brought up, has it in themselves to be a good person
9/10 people are good but there is that 1/10 that aren't, i don't know why but they just aren't good
still most of the religions i know of tell you to be like a person and/or worship a specific god/goddess. follow their examples, their rules and you will be a good person.
My main problem with all this is why should i believe in "god", why should i follow "the ten commandments". they are good guidelines ill give them that but what is wrong with gut instinct, common sense and the basic awareness of what is right and wrong!
Ive never believed in a god (Buddha doesn't count he was a man that achieved enlightenment) Ive always trusted myself to know what is right/wrong, Ive believed that i can make the right choice, yer Ive made mistakes but what other way is there to learn?(you don't learn 1/2 as well from someone telling you something is wrong (eg kid is told not to put hand in fire because the kid will get hurt, kid wonders if this is true or not and will prob end up doing it, Vs, kid sticks hand in fire gets burt and told off kid doesn't do it again because kid knows it is a bad idea, will get burt and told off again)
why should i believe in a higher being, when i can believe in myself. no one can question that i don't exist (like Jesus's existence is questioned) i cant lead others astray by because i don't force my beliefs on anyone (like Islam, don't believe me, a woman in an Islamic country (OK extreme Islamic country) even if she don't follow Islam, she will have to cover her head (i know there are arguments with that and i argue both sides of that 1 but hey for this point I'm arguing this side))
anyway i guess the point I'm trying to make is why believe in something else when you have yourself.
there is only one thing you need to do to be a good person and that is ask yourself if it is right or wrong. if it is wrong don't do it.
you don't need rules to tell you what is right/wrong it is gut instinct/common sense.

(all the above is my belief if you don't like it or don't agree with it either ignore it or talk to me about it, you don't have to agree)

humm
counter arguments
common sense is too rare these days
people need rules so that they can learn what is right and wrong
believing in something such as a higher being (god) gives people hope and meaning in life

ahhh I'm going round in circles :D
thinking about this it is an argument that will never resolve
there will always be religion because someone will always chose to follow it
religion has been around for mellenia and my ramblings aren't going to change that
mind you with out religion how many wars/ battles/ arguments wouldn't have happened. how many wars/ battles/ arguments wont happen in the future if religion was no more.

Religion is interesting to me and I'm still looking into it all at the moment the above is my view
but a friend (without much argument) has persuaded me to look into it more
well see how it goes :D

*runs away before the chance of being lynched by a crowd of extreme religious types gets too high*

1 comment:

Black Xanthus said...

A rambling post.

My dear girl, if your going to blog, as I told you over MSN, the art of communication should not be allowed to die simply because punctuation and you don't get along.

I want to pick up on two things you mentioned in your blog.

The first, of course the most obvious, is the idea of women in Islamic countries. Much to my own surprise, modern Islam doesn't appear to match anything that I would expect from the Qu'r'an. Men and women are supposedly equal, and ideally they should be in monogomus relationships. The reson that Islam was so fundamentaly different was because of their docterin of "Islam is Peace" and equality amoungst men and women.

The second is the idea that all war is religion. This is a falshood. Some war, I grant you, is based on religion, but mostly religion is the excuse people give to it's justification. The real reason is the same, always. Money and Power. Of the wars that have caused the most death and pain, World War I, and World War II, Religion spent most of it's time saying that war was bad, but perhaps necessary. (The flip-side, is of course the Catholic Church backing the Nazis. That's a whole different can of worms, and probably worthy of a longer rant)

You'r right, you don't need God to be a good person. Infact, on the face of things, there is very little you do need God for. However, there are times when, despite all that, God decides to be there for you. He reaches out, holds you and guides your feet.

I think, perhaps, that I should make a longer post about this. I'll see what I can go on my blog